What Goes On At Village...
At Village, we place a strong emphasis on parent education. Parents are encouraged to discipline with understanding and respect for the children, guiding them toward kind and responsible behavior through the use of positive language. The children are encouraged to always do their best and to feel confident in their abilities.
8:00 a.m. Early Drop-off
8:45 a.m. Working Parents Arrive
9:00 a.m. School Begins
9:00 a.m. Free Indoor Play
10:00 a.m. Circle Time: Calendar, Weather & Books
10:15 a.m. Snack Time
10:30 a.m. Free Outdoor Play (Pre-K for 4-Year-Olds)
11:30 a.m. Sharing Time
12:00 p.m. Lunch
12:15 p.m. Pick Up
Extended Care/PM Program
12:30 p.m. FreeOutdoor Play
1:15 p.m. Story Time
1:30 p.m. Nap Time / Rest Time
3:30 p.m. Snack Time
4:00 p.m Free Indoor Play
5:00 p.m. Free Outdoor Play
5:45 p.m. Pick Up / School Closed
*Twice a week children get their bodies moving and learn about music with Jamaroo Kids - A music and movement enrichment program.
At Village Parents...
- Actively contribute to their child’s educational experience by working one morning per week at school
- Attend monthly school meetings
- Work a minimum of 6 maintenance hours a semester for repairs and facility improvements
- Learn how to deal with many different aspects of child development: aggressiveness, shyness, learning disabilities, sibling rivalry, regression, temper tantrums, separation anxiety, etc.
- Learn what they can do at home to help prepare their child for kindergarten
At Village Children...
- Learn to express their feelings
- Learn the independent skills of eating, dressing, and toileting
- Develop their fine and gross motor skills
- Develop an understanding of individual differences and cultural diversity
- Learn to play and share with each other
- Learn to enjoy art and music
- Learn about basic health and safety issues
- Learn that school is a safe place to be, where you can learn and have fun at the same time
- Learn pre-academic skills in our Pre-K program (kindergarten readiness)
A message from our Director:
Hi! My name is Roxanne Dondoy and I am the Director of Village Nursery School. I graduated from San Francisco State University, and received my Bachelors of Arts Degree in Child and Adolescent Development, with a concentration in Early Childhood Education. I currently hold a Site Supervisor Permit from the California Credentialing Commission, working towards obtaining my Program Director Permit. I have over 6 years of experience working with young children, and continue to love educating young children and their families. I absolutely love every aspect of working and being involved in a cooperative preschool. It is so important during the early years of a child's life for parents to be involved in their child's learning. The best feeling for me is watching the parent-child interaction on a day-to-day basis, and hearing stories of the development they have noticed in the children. It is awesome to see so many parents be involved, and want to be involved in the children's learning.
A message from our Assistant Teacher:
Hello! My name is Theresa Fernandez and I am the Assistant Teacher of Village Nursery School. I am currently enrolled at San Francisco State University, working to obtain my Bachelors of Arts Degree in Child and Adolescent Development, with a concentration in Early Childhood Education (ECE.) I am taking my classes under SFSU's Promoting Achievement Through Higher Education (PATH) program, which ensures that I complete all of the necessary units for ECE, while also teaching me the fundamental skills that an educator must have to promote a safe and successful environment for children. I am currently in the process of obtaining my Assistant Teacher's Permit through the California Credentialing Commission.
I value being able to work with children, and simply knowing that as a teacher, I am one of the first influences they will have in their educational career. Working in a cooperative, play-based school has been an amazing experience. I adore the "little community" that Village Nursery School has created through the active involvement of the parents/guardians of our students. We are a family and can all rely on one another. Every bit of interaction the children get with their peers and with the adults, has made an impact on how they will grow in the social world. I hope that each day they learn how to express their emotions, trust, love, and simply enjoy the beauty of learning.
Photo Credit: Sunshine Shannon Photography